Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Mini Coconut Donuts

Well Hanukkah is coming to an end this year. As some of you may know my family celebrates Christmukkah, which was a little tricky this year since it landed on Thanksgiving creating a Thanksgivukkah conundrum. I hope every one enjoyed this wonderful holiday, I know I sure did. I got a ton of baking utensils and an apron for gifts this year. A key ingredient in celebrating Hanukkah is cooking with oil. Unfortunately for me I cannot eat obscene amounts of fried foods or I will blow up like a puffer fish and gain like 10 lbs in one week. No thanks! (Although I definitely had my share of latkes) So decided to try to make baked coconut donuts, since donuts are a common Hanukkah tradition and I love them.

I don't mean to toot my own horn or anything but these are AMAZING! I will be making these every weekend for the foreseeable future. Before they were even gone I was asked to make them again. I love these donuts! And the best part is that each one is only 55 calories each.

Now, if you were to fry these up I would love to try them in coconut oil. I bet they would be heavenly.

I bought a mini donuts pan from Bed, Bath & Beyond but I think these would also work in a cake pop pan as "donut holes".


This recipe makes 24 mini donuts.

Donuts Ingredients:
1 Cup Unbleached Flour
1/3 Cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Pinch Salt
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1 Yo-plait Greek 100 Calories Vanilla Yogurt Cup (or 5.5 oz of Non-fat Vanilla Greek Yogurt)
2.6 oz Unsweetened Almond Milk
2 tbsp Light Buttery Spread 
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Coconut Extract


Icing Ingredients:
1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
2 tsp water
1/4 Cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut 

Mix all the dry ingredients (Flour, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt) in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients (egg, yogurt, milk, vanilla extract, and coconut extract). I dumped all of the wet ingredients into my blender because it was easier and I got a very smooth consistency without my arm going numb from stirring like a mad woman. 

Create a well in the bowl of dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until all are evenly mixed. It will be lumpy.

Pour the mixture into the donut pan 1/2-3/4 of the way to the top.

Place pan in a 425 degree preheated oven for 5-10 minutes until they have puffed up and are golden brown.

Place the donuts on a cooling rack to cool evenly.

While the donuts are in the oven I took that time to make the icing.
Take all of the icing ingredients (Powdered sugar, water, and vanilla extract) except the coconut and stir until smooth. 


I created a little conveyor belt with the icing in one bowl, the shredded coconut in another and a baking mat at the end. 
Dip the donut face down first in the icing then the coconut and then place on the baking mat to settle. 

I am definitely going to be making variations of this recipe in the future. I think up next will be chocolate donuts.



What is your favorite kind of donut?
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 donut **Make 24 donuts**
Amount Per Serving
Calories 55
Calories from Fat 13
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.4g
2%
Saturated Fat 0.9g
5%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 7mg
2%
Sodium 26mg
1%
Total Carbohydrates 8.8g
3%
Sugars 4.2g
Protein 1.4g
Vitamin A 1%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2%Iron 3%
Nutrition Grade C-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment