Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Turkey Sloppy Joes

Lately, I've been craving comfort food. But comfort food isn't typically diet friendly. I wanted to make lower calorie sloppy joes and add in a bit more veggies than I normally would (normally, I don't add any veggies at all so this is an improvement). I think this sloppy joe recipe rocks. Totally delicious and really quick and easy. 

Ingredients:
2 lbs Lean Ground Turkey
1/2 Red Onion
1 large red bell pepper
3 Celery Stalks
1 Garlic clove
1 cup Ketchup
3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire
1 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Tabasco (Optional)
1 tsp sriracha (Optional)
Hamburger Buns

Chop up the red bell pepper, celery, and onion as finely as possible.

Spray the pan with Olive Oil spray and set to medium heat.

Throw those veggies in the hot pan.

Wait until they are a bit soft and tender then add in minced garlic and sprinkle salt and pepper.

Let the veggies cook for another 2-5 minutes then remove from the pan and set aside.

I have never been that crazy about ground beef. In fact, when I was little I wouldn't eat anything with ground beef, not even a hamburger. My taste buds have changed,of course, but I still prefer ground turkey over ground beef when I can. This Jennie-O ground turkey is my favorite! 

Cook up the ground turkey until you no longer see any red/pink. Use a spoon or spatula to go through and break up any of the larger pieces. 

Add in the rest of the ingredients, including the veggies we set aside earlier.

Stir it up until everything is fully coated in sauce.

I put half a cup of the sloppy joe mix in a toasted bun. I used regular hamburger buns because the whole wheat buns were an additional 100 calories. Of course whole wheat is a lot healthier but right now I'm focusing primarily on calorie count. 


    Makes 8 Servings

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 sandwich with 1/2 cup of sloppy joe mixture
Amount Per Serving
Calories 328
Calories from Fat 88
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9.8g
15%
Saturated Fat 2.5g
13%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 80mg
27%
Sodium 668mg
28%
Total Carbohydrates 34.2g
11%
Dietary Fiber 2.7g
11%
Sugars 13.7g
Protein 26.4g
Vitamin A 26%Vitamin C 55%
Calcium 7%Iron 21%
Nutrition Grade B-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

What is your favorite comfort food?


No comments:

Post a Comment