Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Amazing Flax Pancakes

I finally did it!! I mentioned in a previous post, Saving Money with Homemade Freezer Food, that I'm a pancake addict. I love pancakes and will make them almost every Saturday. I was stuck making basic Heart Smart Bisquick pancakes but I really wanted something made from scratch that would taste delicious as well as being really healthy. Well... I figured out how to make homemade, delicious, low calorie pancakes! I am so freaking excited to share this with you.

I have been playing with different ways to make healthy low cal pancakes for a while now. A lot of them tasted pretty gross of absolutely nothing like actual pancakes. These taste like pancakes, just like they should.



Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed 
1 egg
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Splenda (or 2 packets)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Salt

Mix all of the ingredients but the egg together in a bowl.

Add the egg and stir until everything is well mixed.

Place heaping spoonfuls of the mixture into a heated skillet sprayed with canola oil. When you start to see bubbles it's time to flip them over.

I don't know anything about Paleo or Gluten Free diets but I think they may pass for both. I'm not really sure. If you know please comment. 

If you want the most amazing pancakes you can cook them up in coconut oil instead of the canola oil. It will add 120 calories but every now and then it's worth it because it's like eating sweet, fluffy clouds straight from heaven.

I can happily say that I can now have yummy pancakes as much as I want. 
These also freeze well.



Nutrition Facts
Serving Size - Recipe makes one serving
Amount Per Serving
Calories 139
Calories from Fat 80
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8.9g
14%
Saturated Fat 1.9g
9%
Cholesterol 164mg
55%
Sodium 648mg
27%
Total Carbohydrates 8.0g
3%
Dietary Fiber 4.1g
16%
Sugars 1.6g
Protein 8.5g
Vitamin A 4%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 26%Iron 11%
Nutrition Grade C
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment