Thursday, August 22, 2013

Skinny Zucchini Parmesan


My grandmother is an amazing cook. She's Italian so it's completely natural for her to make amazing food. One of my absolute favorite things she makes is her zucchini parmesan. I'm not sure whether she would applaud me or ring my neck for making one of her classic recipes a lighter. (Especially since I used jarred sauce instead of homemade. Sorry Grammy!). Her zucchini parmesan is delicious, but it's fried. She frys up her zucchini slices in olive oil, which is so very good. But it's so very bad for me. I lightened her recipe up a bit. I also made lighter bread crumbs to coat the zucchini. It was the first time I tried to make this and came out delicious.

Ingredients:
1 Large Zucchini (I used 1 very large one from a neighbors garden, I would probably use 2 is your are using the store bought kind)
4 Slices Sara Lee 45 Calorie Wheat Bread
4 Tbsp Newman's Own Light Italian Dressing
1 Jar Healthy Pasta Sauce (I used Prego Heart Smart)
2 tsp Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Cup Reduced Fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese 

I started with the breadcrumbs. I laid out the four slices of sandwich bread on a baking sheet and brushed each one with Italian dressing. I popped them in the oven at 350 until they were browned then I flipped them over, brushed the other side with dressing and popped them back in the oven.

Both sides should look like this. Then I crumbled them a bit with my hands and threw them in the blender.

I pulsed it in the blender until it was a crumb consistency. Transfer the crumbs to a bowl and stir in the parmesan cheese.

While the bread was toasting I started to slice up the zucchini. I made them decently large slices.

Time for the conveyor belt method. Beat the egg in one bowl and put it next to the breadcrumbs. Dip each slice of zucchini in the egg, shake off any excess, then dip in the breadcrumbs. 

Place the breaded zucchini slices in a hot pan sprayed with PAM Olive Oil. After about 2-3 minutes flip them, very carefully. 

Once both sides have browned and the zucchini is tender. Take them out of the pan and place them on a paper towel to collect any excess oil. 

Now it's time to assemble...

I covered the bottom of a casserole dish with about 1/2 cup of the sauce. Then I placed some of the zucchini slices over it. ( I ran out of breadcrumbs for the last 2 slices of zucchini so I just fried them up with salt and pepper and stuck them on the bottom. No one will ever know the difference.)

Continue to layer sauce and zucchini slices about 3 times or until zucchini is gone, depending on the size of your casserole dish. Then sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top. 

Cover and place in a 400 degree preheated oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, remove lid and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. 

I may have been too excited to eat this that I completely forgot to take a picture of it on my plate. I enjoyed it with a salad and it was a wonderful dinner. 



What is your absolute favorite thing your grandmother makes?



Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1/2 cup (1/6 of recipe)
Amount Per Serving
Calories
185
Calories from Fat
71
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
7.9g
12%
Saturated Fat
1.7g
9%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
30mg
10%
Sodium
650mg
27%
Total Carbohydrates
23.6g
8%
Dietary Fiber
5.9g
24%
Sugars
13.9g
Protein
7.8g
Vitamin A 16%Vitamin C 35%
Calcium 10%Iron 9%
Nutrition Grade B+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment