Friday, August 31, 2012

Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms



I was shopping at Costco the other day and I saw all these fantastic mushrooms and since most of my food cravings are complete whims I started craving mushrooms. So I bought a boat load of mushrooms and I had to come up with creative ways to eat them up. I always thought stuffed mushrooms were an appetizer and I felt like I was breaking all the rules by making stuffed mushrooms an entrée. But these mushrooms are stuffed with spinach instead of breadcrumbs so I like to tell myself they’re healthy. I bet you’re going to figure out a way to get away with making these for dinner too.


I started with chopping up onions, garlic, and the stems of the mushrooms and sautéing them in a pan with some EVOO. As they were cooking up I added about ¼ cup of white wine and the juice of half a lemon.
Roughly chop two heaping handfuls of spinach. Once the onions were translucent add the spinach to the pan and allow it to shrink up and absorb the flavors or the garlic and onions and delicious white wine. Transfer that gorgeous mixture to a bowl and add 1½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, one lightly beaten egg, and 2 tbs. bisquick.


Spoon the mixture into the cleaned mushrooms, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake at 425 for 15-20 or until the top is slightly golden.


These bad boys are so tasty. I loved them and I think they made a fantastic meal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment