Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Baked Spaghetti Squash

Are you ready for a really super duper yummy recipe? 
I mean this is crazy good and only 102 calories a serving. 
To be honest I was a bit skeptical about how it would taste. I mean I've never really had spaghetti squash before and I thought it might taste like squash. Boy, was I wrong. I think it's better than regular spaghetti and I think I may have converted to spaghetti squash for good. 

I really love healthy food swaps that taste better than the original. I feel better about myself for eating something healthy but I also feel satisfied that I'm eating something that I love. 



Ingredients:

1 large spaghetti squash (makes about 6 cups)
1 jar Classico Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 clove garlic
1/2 white onion
1 tbsp fresh basil
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tbsp fresh chives
1/4 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese 


Stab the spaghetti squash a couple times with a fork and place in the microwave for 6 minutes. Flip the squash over and microwave for another 6 minutes. Continue to do this until the squash is slightly soft.

While the squash is in the microwave, slice up the peppers, onions, and garlic and toss in a pan sprayed with cooking spray. 

Cook them covered on medium heat until they are soft and the whole house smells wonderful. 

Turn down the heat and toss in the herbs. This is totally up to your preference as to which herbs to add. I just added what I have growing on my little patio garden. 


As soon as the squash is a bit soft you can remove it from the microwave and let it cool down. 
Slice the squash in half and scoop out the seeds and guts from the middle. 
Once the squash is cleaned out you can begin to scrap for the spaghetti. Take a spoon and carefully scrap downward and towards the center. 
After I had scooped out the whole squash I went through the bowl and detangled the spaghetti. Any pieces that were stuck together or clumped into one I broke apart. 

Now I have a big bowl of spaghetti and my sauce. I used Classico Tomato & Basil because I was just too lazy to make my own sauce. 

Pour the sauce and the peppers and onions mix over the top of the spaghetti squash.

Stir it all up until everybody is coated in sauce. 
(This is making me so hungry right now. Doesn't that look so good?)

Top it off with 1/4 of a cup of shredded mozzarella. 

 Cover and pop into a preheated 450 degree F oven for 10 minutes. 
Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melty and bubbly. 


This recipe makes about 6 one cup servings. 


I am totally in love with this.

What are some other really great healthy swaps that you use?


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Cup 
Amount Per Serving
Calories 102
Calories from Fat 22
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2.4g
4%
Saturated Fat 0.7g
4%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 3mg
1%
Sodium 361mg
15%
Total Carbohydrates 17.9g
6%
Dietary Fiber 1.8g
7%
Sugars 5.9g
Protein 4.1g
Vitamin A 27%Vitamin C 79%
Calcium 10%Iron 8%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment