Monday, November 29, 2010

Fried Pickles

My favorite thing to do when I'm back in North Carolina is to visit the NC state fair. I absolutely love the fair, with all the nauseating rides, the games and the great concerts but the absolute best thing about the state fair is all the fried foods. In the south we have a tendency dropping anything we can into a deep fryer, and I've probably tried most of them. I will admit that I've tried deep fried Twinkies, candy bars, oreos, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, even deep fried Coca Cola, but the one heart attack inducing delight that I always have to get is the deep fried pickles. 

If you love pickles almost as much as I do then I beg you to try them deep fried. I promise (and I never break a promise) that you will fall madly in love with them. 

To easily make them at home all you need is:
2 cups Dill Pickles sliced
1 Egg lightly beaten
1/4 cup Pickle Juice
1 cup Flour 
1/2 tbs Flour
1 tsp Hot Sauce
1 tsp Red Pepper
1 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Paprika
Vegetable Oil

Start off by slicing the pickles, the thicker the better. The rule less is more does not apply here.

Use a paper towel to soak up the excess pickle juice off of our pickle chips.

In a bowl mix the cup of flour, red pepper, black pepper, salt, garlic and paprika. 

In another bowl lightly beat the egg, pour in the pickle juice, hot sauce and the 1/2 tbs of flour. Stir well but it's alright if it has a few lumps.

Drop a pickle chip in the egg mixture. 

Then into the dry ingredients.

 
Using a fork make sure that its well coated.

Shake off the excess. Less is more does apply here.

Plop it into a pan on medium heat that has about an inch of oil. Fry them until they're golden, flipping occasionally to make sure they don't burn. (I won't lie...I burnt my first batch. Luckily I don't have any pictures to prove it.)

When they are nice and golden place them on a paper towel covered plate so that it can absorb the extra grease.

I really can't explain how good these are!
I would have to say these are the perfect snack for watching a football game at home.

So what's your guilty fried pleasure? 









2 comments:

  1. I love fried pickles, but never thought to make them myself! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome!! Enjoy! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete