Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Baked Veggie Egg Rolls

It's been one of those weeks. The kind of week that I'm mentally begging myself to just give in have the really bad food, the high calorie, greasy stuff. The week where I can't seem to motivate myself to hit the gym at all.  We've all been there right? I figured I would make a compromise with myself and make a treat. I've had a hankering for Chinese take-out lately, which led me to create my own so that I can conserve the calories. One of my absolute favorite things to order is egg rolls and most of the time they hardly ever make it home.


Ingredients:
1 Large Package of Coleslaw mix or 4 cups
2 Cups Broccoli
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce (or Low Sodium)
1-2 Tbsp Sriracha (Depending on your heat tolerance.)
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp ginger powder
2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)

Spray a pan or wok with PAM, throw in the coleslaw mix and allow it to cook down on Medium heat. You could also add in water chestnuts, bell peppers, or whatever else you want in your egg rolls.

While the coleslaw mix is cooking down a little bit, chop up the broccoli, then add it to the pan and put the cover on. 

Let the Broccoli and Coleslaw mix cook down and mix together the remaining ingredients.

Wait until the Coleslaw mix and broccoli look like this.

Pour the sauce mixture over the veggies.

Stir it up until its all evenly coated and yummy.

I used these egg roll wraps which I found in the produce section of the grocery store.

Here's the fun part...

Lay the egg roll wrap down in a diamond shape, corner facing you.
1. Place the seasoned veggie mix in the center.
2. Cover the veggies by pulling up the bottom corner towards the middle.
3. Tuck in the right and left corners towards the middle.
4. Roll it the rest of the way up.

Spray with PAM and place in a 400 degree preheated oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes.


Delicious and only 148 calories each! Yay!

The best part is, I was able to treat myself to the food I was craving and stay healthy. Plus, I saved money because I didn't end up at the Chinese Restaurant where I would have splurged and spent a bunch of money on food that would end of making me feel guilty.

I also wrapped these individually and stored them in the freezer, like my freezer burritos.  

                                                                    What is your favorite thing to order at a Chinese Restaurant?
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size One Egg Roll
Amount Per Serving
Calories 148
Calories from Fat 17
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.9g
3%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 7mg
2%
Sodium 623mg
26%
Total Carbohydrates 27.4g
9%
Dietary Fiber 2.0g
8%
Protein 4.8g
Vitamin A 6%Vitamin C 59%
Calcium 4%Iron 9%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment